“Underworld: Blood Wars” trailer shows more of the same
by Angela Quinton
Sep. 7, 2016
The international trailer for “Underworld: Blood Wars” came out today. It features lots of footage from the previous four films in the series, and from the looks of things, a lot of recycled ideas from those films, too.
- High-stakes, low-investment plot about finally ending the war between vampires and werewolves, for real this time
- Powerful new villain with long hair
- Coloured contact lenses and very white teeth
- Grim pronouncements uttered in aristocratic accents
- Weightless acrobatic fights
- Quick cuts away from shadowy CG werewolves
- Ubiquitous blue filter
The only thing I had no trouble distinguishing from the flashback footage was Kate Beckinsale’s updated appearance as Selene, featuring two-tone hair and a big comfy coat she can deploy as an evasive manoeuvre during combat.
“Underworld: Blood Wars” comes out January 2017. With respect to everyone who worked on this – particularly the technical crews – please, stop. Speaking as a representative of what I have to assume is a primary target demographic, I don’t want this. Nobody I know does. Spend your time and effort elsewhere.